The registered design is a shape, configuration, pattern or ornament or composition of lines or color or a combination thereof applied to any article whether two dimensional or three dimensional protected under the Designs Act, 2000. Design registration is similar to copyright registration, patent or trademark registration and a type of intellectual property registration – which protects creations of the mind.
Top reasons why you need to register your designs:
- Industrial designs increase the beauty and appeal of any product.
- They increase commercial value of the product and raise its potential in the market.
- The registration of design helps in safeguarding the aesthetic value of the article. Whenever an industrial design is being registered, exclusive rights are granted to the owner against illegal use like imitation by third party without his/her consent.
- An effective system also helps the lay-man by encouraging fair competition and legal trading practices which most importantly boost creativity, finally resulting into beautiful products in terms of variety and originality.
- Protection of industrial designs helps in total economic development which in turn develops creativity in the industrial zone.