Food Standard & SafetyAuthority of India (FSSAI)
Established under the ministry of health and family welfare, government of India, Food safety and standards authority of India is an autonomous body and came in provision after the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. The responsibility of protecting and promoting public health through the regulation and supervision of food safety is done by FSSAI. Headquartered at New Delhi, the main aim of FSSAI is as follows:
1. Set down science-based standards for articles of food
2. To regulate manufacture, storage, distribution, import and sale of food
3. To facilitate the safety of food
From Dairy products to beverages, FSSAI regulates the research and development of all the food products and assures the quality of the eateries. On the nature of the food business and turnover, there are three types of FSSAI licenses available are as follows:
Reasons why FSSAI registration is important:
- Improved Consumer Base: Being registered as a healthy food option by FSSAI increases the number of customers
- Legal Advantage: If you are not registered with FSSAI or do not have food license then heavy penalties can be imposed.
- Business Expansion: FSSAI registered food businesses get secure loans and funding from banks easily.